Ministerial interventions will address the following topics:
- Illustration of technological transformation in action & national visions on the transition to sustainable development models
- What are the changes needed in the national and international policy environment to facilitate technological transformations
- Key enablers for scaling up the deployment of market-ready integrated technological solutions at scale
STI roadmaps for the SDGs are considered as a powerful multi-stakeholder engagement tool to plan, communicate and facilitate actions, track progress, and foster a learning environment for utilising Science, Technology & Innovation to achieve the SDGs. G-STIC 2018 will co-host the next Expert Group Meeting on STI roadmaps for the SDGs, together with the Joint Research Centre of the European Commission. This offers all G-STIC participants a unique opportunity to impact the conversation about technological innovation for the SDGs.
Chair person: Ger Bergkamp
- Glen Daigger, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (United States)
- Xavier Leflaive, Principal Administrator/Environment directorate, OECD (France)
Session 1: Wastewater and Resources Recovery: The frontier of technology and practices
Session 2: New business models and investments in wastewater - resource recovery
Session 3: Water Partnerships and Stewardship: Multi-actor approaches catalysing water management transitions
Session 4: Synthesis and Key messages
New technologies and practices are showing the way to effective and efficient wastewater re-use. Energy and carbon neutral wastewater utilities are starting to emerge. What are the latest development in wastewater and resource recovery? How are new practices being taken-up by industries and municipalities?
To accelerate the uptake of wastewater and resource recovery and realize the SDG related to wastewater will require major investments from up to an additional USD 150 billion per year. These resources need to be mobilized at the national and international level and have to come from a mix of public and private sources. What has been the experiences with different financial instruments available to finance wastewater treatment? What are effective and sustainable business models that support mobilizing sufficient financing? What are some of the main obstacles and opportunities for financing of wastewater treatment and resources recovery?
- Daniel Zimmer, Programme Director, Climate KIC, Brussels (Belgium)
- Kay Pamplies – Head, Investment and Innovative Finance (DG International Cooperation and Development), Brussels (Belgium)
- Virgilio Rivera, Managing Director, Ayala Corporation (Philippines)
- Pritha Hariram, Business Development Manager, FMO, The Hague (Netherlands)
- Lydia Whyatt, Managing Director, Resonance Asset Management (United Kingdom)
Water stewardship and partnerships models are key to addressing the complexity of water issues and solutions. How can these approaches be further used to accelerate the achievement of the SDGs related to water?
With the need to involve the private sector and dramatically up-scale and improve the level of water and wastewater services world-wide, new opportunities are emerging to public-private-people partnerships. What are key challenges and opportunities to for new PPPPs? What needs to be done to facilitate the creation of new business models and partnerships in the water and wastewater services sector?
- Jan Goossens, CEO, Aquafin (Belgium)
- Eskild Andersen, Group Environmental Manager, Carlsberg (Denmark)
- Vangelis Constantianos, Executive Secretary, GWP-Med (Greece)
- James Dalton, Director Water Program, IUCN (Switzerland)
- Tom Vereijken, Director, Water Stewardship Academy and Innovation Centre (Belgium)
The purpose of the closing session is to identify, discuss and agree on the policy changes that need to happen to deploy wastewater as a resource. What are some of the key policy findings and technology adoption and changes G-STIC proposes? Are the proposed policy recommendations and proposed changes doable, actionable, and ambitious enough to truly contribute to delivering the SDGs?
Roderveldlaan 5 - 2600
+32 (0)3 2867458