Dr. ir. Pablo van der Lugt (PhD, MSc Eng) graduated with honours as architectural engineer at Delft University of Technology (DUT) in the Netherlands after which he executed his PhD Research at the Design for Sustainability (DfS) department at DUT showing that the environmental impact (carbon footprint & LCA) of industrial bamboo materials is considerably lower than alternative materials including hardwood. After finishing his PhD, van der Lugt has conducted various ambassador roles in the green building industry – both at the supplying side and the purchasing side - to further increase the acceptance and adoption of innovative biobased materials in the market.
In the vision of van der Lugt in the essential transition towards a more circular economy there are tremendous opportunities for smart biobased materials made from fast-growing resources such as (modified) softwood and (engineered) giant bamboo, to substitute carbon intensive, high performance materials such as tropical hardwood, steel, PVC and concrete. Van der Lugt has published extensively in both popular magazines as scientific journals (see "Guest lecturer TU Delft") and regularly provides (keynote) presentations on this topic to stakeholders and policy makers in the building industry.
Fields of expertise:
- Sustainable building and materialization
- Biobased materials, in particular wood / bamboo
- Environmental impact assessments: LCA, carbon footprint, EPD
- Ecolabels and sustainability certifications: BREEAM, LEED, C2C, FSC, etc
- Climate Change Mitigation and Carbon Sequestration
- Cradle to Cradle (C2C) implementation in the Built Environment - focus on Biobased Economy
- Branding and communication of sustainability features for biobased materials
Roderveldlaan 5 - 2600
+32 (0)3 2867458